What is one of the only industries that allow employees to create once in a lifetime memories for a living in some of the most unforgettable places on Earth? While this question may stump some, the answer is the incentive travel industry – a fast-paced yet rewarding career for those organized individuals who love to plan meetings, events and trips of all kinds.
In the past few years, any student who is fresh out of college will hear how tough the job market is and the dismal chances of procuring a fun and lively career. Well stop that negative thinking right there, because according to the New York Times, as of April 2013, about 8 percent, or 7,000 of the total of 88,000 jobs added by employers that year were in the travel industry. These numbers are extremely promising for determined youths who would like to experience this hectic, yet alluring path. Devoting time and energy into this industry has the potential to pay great dividends for the future, as corporations are feeling a greater need to compete on a global scale which has called for greater investment into business travel. This directly translates into a more optimistic outlook for motivated students and graduates alike as they are preparing to enter “the real world” as the Federal Bureau of Labor states that the travel industry is one of the top 10 largest employers of middle-class wage earners.
As an intern, there are a few invaluable lessons that can be learned especially in such a dynamic and ever changing industry:
- Understand that help is always available when needed and that it is important to ask the appropriate questions, but a sense of autonomy and responsibility through diving in and forging your own path is of equal importance.
- Patience is key and do not have an expectation of entitlement or instant gratification.
- Organization is a must. Also, never fail to overlook even the smallest details – those can make all the difference to a client.
- Flexibility in helping others and taking initiative without having to be asked shows willingness to be a team player and ultimately promotes a more efficient workplace.
- Creativity in solving problems and clearly communicating opinions and proper solutions shows confidence and a sense of ownership for decision making.
As an intern, it is always a frightening prospect to start a new job, especially one in which very few 20 something year olds have any experience at all. While beginning a career can be overwhelming and nerve-wracking from the start, the incentive travel industry offers a wide array of options for any ambitious adolescent. Starting a brand new journey is exhilarating, yet intimidating, but I hope that through these suggestions and testimonials from a real life intern, it inspires others to accept the challenge and never let the idea of immense change hinder anyone’s abilities and potential. Contact JNR Incorporated if you would like to get a greater insight into this unique industry.
Written by Andy Tallon
JNR Incorporated is a results-based, globally recognized leader that specializes in creating custom travel, meeting, event, prepaid card and merchandise programs that motivate, engage and inspire the employees, customers and channel members of our clients. We have over 30 years of experience working with Fortune 500 companies of many diverse industries. Our programs are tailored to fit the specific needs of marketing, sales, management and human resource professionals. The unique solutions we apply are measurable and proven to increase performance, loyalty and revenues.