We continue our whirlwind adventure around the world by highlighting the top 10 destinations in the majestic country of South Africa. This multifaceted nation offers a wide spectrum of activities for those who are more culturally inclined to thrill-seekers craving an adrenaline rush. From exotic safari expeditions in one of the revered national parks to shark diving in the chilling waters, the wildlife in South Africa truly cannot be beat.
South Africa lies at the very most southern tip of the continent where the Atlantic and Indian Oceans meet, creating an awe-inspiring landscape with an abundance of once in a lifetime opportunities for business and pleasure travelers alike. Between the beautiful beaches, modern cities, stunning scenery and colorful cuisine, South Africa will be on anyone’s bucket list once these top 10 attractions are revealed according to Touropia:
- Cape Town: This bustling urban jungle set at the base of Table Mountain is the most popular city to visit in South Africa. Its spectacular natural setting and close proximity to white sand beaches and rolling vineyards has made it arguably the most admired destination not only in the country but the entire continent.
- Kruger National Park: Covering a wide stretch of bush and savannah in the northern reaches of South Africa, Kruger National Park borders the countries of Mozambique and Zimbabwe. Because of its dense animal population and the variety of its flora and fauna, the park is considered the jewel of South Africa’s extensive park system.
- Drakensberg: Meaning “Dragon’s Mountain” in Dutch, the otherworldly landscape is a must see in the rocky range bordering the small nation of Lesotho. The impressive peaks are sure to amaze any traveler with a passion for hiking or rock climbing these sheer escarpments.
- The Garden Route: One of the most dramatic and extraordinary drives in the world; the Garden Route is a scenic stretch along the south eastern coast of South Africa. This thoroughfare is dotted with exclusive foliage and diverse vegetation that can only be found in the region. Be sure to take snapshots of the numerous lagoons along the way!
- Cape Winelands: The Cape Winelands are a series of fertile valleys not far from Cape Town that produce some of the most sought after wines of the world. The rivers that flow through this region create an ideal landscape for many varietals, and an indulgent journey here is well worth it.
- Hermanus: Located on the southern coast of Africa near the Garden Route, Hermanus is a famous area for its shore-based whale-watching. The sheltered, shallow waters attract southern right whales that migrate to the region each year to mate and breed.
- Blyde River Canyon: Blyde River Canyon is the second largest canyon in Africa, offering walking treks through the rich diversity of flora and fauna. Visitors can enjoy views of magnificent escarpments, waterfalls and ancient geological phenomena. Guests also have the matchless opportunity to encounter all five of South Africa’s primates here, as well as hippos and crocodiles near the wetlands of Swadini Dam.
- Hluhluwe-Umfolozi Game Reserve: This inimitable game reserve is the only park under the formal conservation effort in the nation where visitors can see the Big 5 categories of animals exclusive to Africa – lions, elephants, rhinos, leopards and buffalo.
- Addo Elephant National Park: Located in the Eastern Cape region of South Africa, the Addo Elephant National Park is one of the country’s larger game parks. This particular national park is famous for its elephant population that has a special, brownish skin color due to the red soil. Amongst the elephants, other animals like ostriches, antelopes and warthogs can be seen.
10. Johannesburg: Johannesburg is the economic heart of Africa and the most common entry point into the country of Southern Africa. With more than 3 million people, it is also the second largest city on the continent. In recent years, Johannesburg has put itself on the map as a location of vibrant energy and urban opportunities to find success and fortune.
This exceptional country will leave even a seasoned globetrotter with a sense of wonder, so be sure to check out this one of a kind destination in the near future, you won’t be disappointed!
For more information on how JNR can organize a truly spectacular South African incentive trip for your company please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Written by Andy Tallon
JNR Incorporated is a results-based, globally recognized leader that specializes in creating custom travel, meeting, event, prepaid card and merchandise programs that motivate, engage and inspire the employees, customers and channel members of our clients. We have over 30 years of experience working with Fortune 500 companies of many diverse industries. Our programs are tailored to fit the specific needs of marketing, sales, management and human resource professionals. The unique solutions we apply are measurable and proven to increase performance, loyalty and revenues.
Photo Courtesy of Donna Rohmer