As we look forward to a day off next Monday for Labor Day, it is important to recognize and celebrate the contributions and dedication of the American work force. Men and women all over the country work tirelessly in their individual jobs that sustain the overall well-being of the country and the nation’s economy. While relaxing on the beach or barbequing in the backyard, take a moment to remember those who fought the important fight to give workers their rights and those whose continuous efforts keep progressing this country forward.
Although Labor Day is often considered the official end of summer, here are some statistics to be happy about.
- Summer does not officially end until September 22, 2016.
- Officially, this is the 122nd Labor Day.
- President Grover Cleveland signed into law an act to make Labor Day a federal holiday in 1894. We have been celebrating ever since.
- This year, we celebrate the 5 million people in the American labor force
- Employment has risen 9% since December 2014 bringing our unemployment rate to just 4.9%.
- Every year there is a Labor Day parade in New York City to commemorate the 1882 march that started it all.
Specifically in the Meetings Industry we can be especially proud of our contribution.
- Meetings employ nearly 1.8 million people and generate $235 billion in total labor income.
- The Meetings and Events Industry directly and indirectly supports 6.3 million jobs and generates almost $1 trillion a year.
We hope you and your friends and family have the opportunity to barbeque, spend time on the beach, lay out by the pool and just enjoy the long weekend. Refresh and get ready to head back to school and work all while being grateful that we have a great country made up of great people.
Happy Labor Day!
JNR is a full service, globally recognized leader in the incentive industry offering solutions for Meetings and Conferences, Incentive Travel, Special Events and Entertainment, Prepaid Card Services and AXS Contact Center Solutions. We have over 35 years of experience working with Fortune 500 companies across many industries. Our clients trust our comprehensive suite of solutions that offer a better way to reach performance, productivity and loyalty objectives. JNR tends to every detail of your program to ensure an extraordinary experience for your customers, employees and participants and a favorable return on your investment. We allow you to step away from the logistical details and let you focus on what you do best.